Master of Business Administration (MBA)
To apply for this course: Click Here
Degree Duration: 2 years | Schedule of Intakes: September
Support Staff: Tel. 020-4919012, 020-4918249 | Emails: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme of the University of Nairobi seeks to equip participants with skills, techniques and understanding required for successful managerial careers in the public and private sectors of the economy. The UoN MBA programme strength is founded on its long history since 1972, experienced lecturers with a wide variety of backgrounds, and diversity in the student body in terms of backgrounds and nationalities. Participants are drawn from the Eastern African region and beyond. Our proximity to the vibrant Nairobi metropolis and central location gives us an important competitive edge regionally. The course is distinguished by its rigor and variety, offering one of the highest numbers of specialization options in the region. In its most recent revision, we benchmarked against top universities worldwide in North America, Europe, South Africa and the Far East.
Our programme caters to those with prior business training as well as those whose professional backgrounds are in other disciplines. Worldwide, professionals in areas such as engineering and medicine emphasize technical expertise in their undergraduate studies, but in time upward mobility demands knowledge of general management that includes organization structures, marketing, finance, operations, human resources, information systems and other emerging areas. The University of Nairobi MBA course complements technical knowledge with simulated managerial experiences and knowledge to make them effective managers in a dynamic organizational environment. The programme is therefore also a conversion course that aspires to make managers out of practitioners in different professional areas. Teaching goes beyond theoretical concepts to practical knowledge based on case studies and real life experiences; hence, shared experiences by the diverse student body are an integral part of MBA programme. The MBA may therefore act as a terminal degree for those interested in careers in the corporate world, or as a preparatory course for those aspiring to pursue doctorates for careers in research and teaching in business and management.
The UoN MBA therefore aims at training the critical manpower required towards achieving Kenya’s Vision 2030 and other development objectives, and to making East Africa a vibrant region ready to face a globalizing world characterized by constant change and new demands. The quality of our graduates remains undisputed and will be zealously guarded through strict quality control and benchmarking with the world’s best.
Mode of Delivery:
There will be two modes of delivery that will promote actively student engagement namely;-
The program has a rich component of face-to-face delivery in which students will be expected to attend and participate in class, in the evenings and on weekends. Instructions shall be given in the form of lectures, lecture discussions, class presentations, seminars, demonstrations, fieldwork, case studies, student-lecturer consultations, supervised independent research, or any combination of these. Students shall undergo continuous assessment in each taught course in each semester, which shall take the form of written tests, term papers, oral presentations, field assignments, or any combination of these.
The program is offered as part-time and through Open, Distance and Electronic Learning (ODEL) basis. The part-time program is designed to accommodate the special needs of those in full-time employment or those who have other demands on their time, while ODeL will involve mainly home and/or office-based e-learning media.
- The programme consists of eighteen (18) taught course units that constitute Part I, while a Research Project constitutes Part II, which is equivalent to six (6) taught course units.
- The minimum duration for the programme shall be four (4) semesters, while the maximum duration shall be fifteen (15) semesters, and will involve coursework, examinations and the Research Project.
- A candidate shall be allowed to take a maximum of six (6) course units and a minimum of two (2) course units in any given semester.
- The programme is offered through a face-to-face mode of delivery; each course unit shall be taught for forty five (45) contact hours.
- There will be twelve (12) core course units, which shall be taken by all candidates.
- In addition to the core course units, candidates will be required to take four (4) specialization course units in a chosen thematic area, and two (2) elective course units. Specialization course units allow a student to concentrate in their chosen thematic area, while Elective course units provide options for additional knowledge in other areas of interest, not necessarily in their chosen thematic area.
- Electives may be chosen from the list of elective course units in any area of study, or from specialization course units from a different thematic area, that would now count as electives.
- Course units can only be taken after the prerequisites have been successfully completed.
- After completing Part I (all the taught course units – 12 core, 4 specialization elective course units, and 2 elective course units), candidates will carry out research and produce a project paper (Part II). Part II shall commence in the semester immediately succeeding successful completion of Part I. Once the project has started, it must be completed within the semester, or equivalent duration of six course units, with the maximum duration equivalent to the minimum load of two course units per semester. After completing the research project students will be required to make an oral defense of the same.
The common regulations for the masters’ degree in the University of Nairobi shall be applicable.
The following shall be admissible:
- A holder of at least an upper second class honors degree or equivalent in non- classified degrees.
- A holder of lower second class with at least two years of work experience, or a pass degree with at least five years of work experience, and/or having relevant professional qualifications.
managerial careers in the public and private sectors of the economy
Accounts, Finance, insurance, Investment banking
Fees and Funding
|MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION - D61|
|TUITION - 18UNITS||21,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||2,250.00|
|EXAMINATION (PER UNIT @1000)||1,000.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00|
|Sems 2,3,5,6,8or9||2 units||46,250.00|
|Sems 4,7 or 10||1 unit||46,750.00|
|if project registered in sem4-project fee||142,750.00|
|if project registered in sem5-project fee||120,250.00|