Welcome to the School of Business.
The School of Business, University of Nairobi is located in a quiet attractive surburb, twelve kilometers away from Main campus. The School has over 120 academic staff members spread across three teaching departments namely:-Finance and Accounting, Business Administration and Management Science.
The School of Business was established in its present form in 1964, and it produced its first batch of graduates in the Bachelor of Commerce degree in 1967.
Currently the School's total student population is slightly over thirteen thousand (13,000) students spread across the following the seven programmes:-
- Bachelor of Commerce (B. Com): It has developed from a programme of three options into the presently eight distinct options: Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Insurance, Human Resources Management, Business Information Systems, Procurement and Supply Chain Management, and Operations Management, each one addressing the unique needs of our society.
- BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN ACCOUNTING :The Bachelor of Science in accounting degree of the University of Nairobi is designed to provide knowledge and skills necessary to an accounting career. It promotes identification with, and orientation to, the accounting profession. Learners gain the fundamentals essential for careers in the accounting field; in private, governmental, and not- for- profit organizations. The programme focuses on financial accounting and reporting, taxation, managerial accounting, and auditing.
The significance of ethics and international business issues are emphasized throughout the curriculum, along with core competencies in technology and communication. The programme utilizes specific accounting problem-solving software to provide students with practical knowledge of the accounting field. The programme also addresses the goals of professional values, communications and leadership skills, strategic and critical thinking skills, and technology skills of the professional accounting environment and provides additional coverage on the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
Students are also exposed to varied business disciplines including economics, statistics, business law, corporate finance, and marketing to provide the general business overview and context necessary for accounting studies. This programme is consistent with generally accepted accounting principles, including the accounting processes and knowledge areas that lead to professional certification.
The programme is both academic and practical in its orientation. Teaching method applied include lectures, tutorials, assignments, class discussions/presentations, case analysis and research. Students are evaluated on the basis of class attendance and participation, performance in assignments, tests and final examinations done at the end of each semester. Links with the business community, industry and other business schools provide an important component.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN FINANCE :This is a premier finance degree programme with a broad management context that combines theoretical and practical knowledge and experience that is appealing to a wide variety of employers and those want to be self-employed. This programme is an addition to the School of Business portfolio of degree programmes.
This programme will provide the learner with the necessary preparation for a career within the finance industry. It will provide the learner with an excellent mix of finance, economics, accounting and more general management knowledge, skills and competencies.
The degree programme is divided into five areas of specialization: Corporate Finance, Investments & Real Estate, Public Finance, Islamic Finance, and Banking & Insurance. Furthermore, the degree programme will equip students with a set of transferable and practical skills like econometric and forecasting, and financial modeling to enable students excel in their chosen area of specialization. The way this course is conducted will enable students develop self-confidence, negotiation skills, team working and building skills, time management and leadership skills. The Bachelor of Science in Finance programme is both academic and practical in its orientation and enriched by linkages with the business community and industry. Teaching method applied include lectures, tutorials, assignments, class discussions/presentations, case analysis and research. Students are evaluated on the basis of class attendance and participation, performance in assignments, tests and final examinations taken at the end of each semester.
Master of Business Administration (MBA): Worldwide, professionals in areas such as engineering and medicine emphasize technical expertise in their undergraduate studies, but in time upward mobility demands knowledge of general management that includes organization structures, marketing, finance, operations, human resources, information systems and other emerging areas. The MBA course complements technical knowledge with simulated managerial experiences and knowledge to make them effective managers in a dynamic organizational environment.
- Master of Science in Finance (MSc. Finance):The Master of Science (MSc) degree in Finance is designed to assist students enhance their managerial effectiveness within the fields of Finance, Accounting, Investments, Banking and Insurance. The programme is practical and career-oriented, while maintaining high standards of rigour and scholarship. It provides new skills, analytical tools and perspectives, which provide a sound basis for financial management, accounting, investments, banking and insurance. Students are to be drawn from the Eastern and Central African region and beyond
- Master of Science in Marketing (MSc. Marketing): Marketing is a highly specialized course which provides students with valuable breadth and depth of marketing science. The government, the industry and the academia have also expressed keen immense demand for marketing science empowered graduates. These factors, among others, constitute the rationale for adding Msc in marketing to the package of customer driven programmes offered by the School of Business
- Master of Science in Human Resource Management (MSc. HR):Its designed to strengthen the ability of human resource professionals to perform this strategic role. The degree emphasizes the application of the knowledge, competencies, and skills necessary to integrate business and human resource strategies.
- Master of Science in Entrepreneurship and Innovations Management:Its designed to give business managers and professionals a focused, relevant and utilizable body of knowledge in entrepreneurship and innovation management, suitable for people with an interest in starting and managing innovative ventures either within existing structures or by realizing new economic endeavours. As most corporations today realize that they need to be more innovative and entrepreneurial, the programme is positioned to prepare participants to help meet this challenge
- Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration (PhD):Doctoral studies provide an opportunity for candidates with an outstanding academic background to engage in an advanced study in a specialized field of research. Candidates are expected to have intellectual curiosity, self-discipline and a high level of motivation to carry out research.The programme provides for a wide variety of specializations in management.
In 2004, the School launched self sponsored programmes in Mombasa (Bandari Campus) due to the increased demand of its programmes in the Coastal region and in 2008, it launched its programmes in Kisumu. The School continues to meet the demand of training Human Resources in the broad areas of Business Management.